The online application form has become ubiquitous among job seekers and recruiters, whether for internship positions or full-time jobs with benefits.
The problem with an online application form is that it can sometimes be unclear what you're supposed to put in the blank space on some of the questions or what you're supposed to do after you click on the submit button at the end of the form.
To help applicants navigate through this process more efficiently, here are the essential questions that you should expect on your online application form.
And for employers, we have included a free online application form template with this article.
Tell us about yourself.
As a candidate, To best sell yourself to potential employers, you must be clear about who you are and what you have to offer. You should ask yourself ten questions before completing an online application form.
1. What are my key strengths?
2. What makes me unique?
3. What are my career aspirations?
4. What is my work history?
5. Have I ever been convicted of a crime?
6. Do I have any gaps in my employment history?
7. What is my highest level of education?
8. Do I have any professional licenses or certifications?
9. Do I have any special skills or training?
10. Do I have any references?
Why did you choose this company?
As a candidate, when filling out an online application form, it's important to remember that you're not just a name and a set of qualifications. The company has chosen you as well, so it's essential to ensure that you're a good fit for their needs. Here are ten critical questions to ask on your online application form.
1. What inspired you to choose this company?
2. What do you think sets this company apart from others in its industry?
3. What do you think this company's values are?
4. What do you think the company's mission is?
5. How do you think your skills and experience can help this company achieve its goals?
What are your weaknesses?
No one likes to talk about their weaknesses, but it's essential to be honest about your skills and abilities if you're applying for a job. After all, you want to be sure that you're the best fit for the position.
Tell us about a project you completed at your current employer that was important to you. How did it turn out, and why was it important?
An example answer:
A project I completed at my current employer was significant to me. It was a website redesign for a large corporation. The project turned out great and was important because it was the first time I had done a complete redesign from scratch. Plus, it was a very complex project with many moving parts.
Can you tell us about a time when...
There are a plethora of questions you can expect in a similar line. Here are some examples.
- Can you tell us when you had to manage a complicated customer service issue?
- Describe a time when you had to go above and beyond for a customer. Tell us about a time when you had to deal with a difficult co-worker. Describe a time when you had to take on additional responsibilities at work.
- Can you tell us when you identified an opportunity to improve efficiency or reduce costs in your workplace?
- Tell us about a time when you made an error at work and how you handled it.
- Finally, describe when you went above and beyond your job duties.
How would your closest friends describe you?
If you're unsure how to answer this question, ask your friends! They'll know you better than anyone and can give you an idea of how potential employers might see you.
How many languages do you speak?
No matter what the job is, being able to communicate with others is always going to be an essential skill. But for some positions, it's necessary. If you're applying for a job requiring you to speak more than one language, list all of the languages you know on your application form.
What are your salary expectations?
Knowing your salary expectations is crucial before filling out an online application form. This question will help you determine if the company is a good fit for your career goals. Plus, it's an excellent way to gauge what the company is willing to pay for your position.
What do you hope to achieve in the first year, the second year, or the third year of employment with our company?
No matter what job you're applying for, it's essential to know what you hope to achieve in the first, second, and third years of employment. This will help you set realistic goals and measure your progress.
Free online application form template
Are you looking to hire someone? We've built HeyForm online form builder with users like you in mind. With HeyForm, you can easily create online application forms within a few minutes. We offer a modern online builder that's capable of logic jumping. Yes, we'll do the heavy lifting. Sign up today for free.